My friend and classmate Katie MacLennan writes a great blog called Polka Dot Soup. On it she writes a post some Mondays called “Multitude Monday.” She writes, “Mondays are about documenting the little (or big!) things in life that make me oh-so-happy. Let’s make Mondays a day to reflect on the goodies, and not the baddies.”
I also recently read Brené Brown’s book “Daring Greatly,” in which she writes, “The shudder of vulnerability that accompanies joy is an invitation to practice gratitude, to acknowledge how truly grateful we are for the person, the beauty, the connection, or simply the moment before us.”
Here are the ten things right now that I’m thankful for:
41. How much everyone loved and shared the “You Give Me Hope” graphic I put out there on Friday. It was a test for something exciting that I’m working on, which will be released in the next month or so!
42. A walk with a friend (and her baby girl, and her three dogs) on Saturday at the beach at Point Aconi. (That’s where the picture for this post was taken.) We checked out ice floes, walked over heaps of seaweed, and talked, and it was good. (Here is Point Aconi in the summertime, from my 2012 “10 Beaches” adventure!)
43. Taking a day off from pretty much everything (except making easy food) on Sunday. While it’s hard to overcome my own inner “guilt” voices, and actually believe that since I do work hard most of the time, I deserve a break, it’s so worth it. I love watching a day pass.
44. The hyacinth I bought for $4 at the farmers’ market on Saturday. It smells like spring!
45. It’s Colour Week this week and I’m looking forward to focusing on specific colours in my day-to-day life, and finding them like items in a scavenger hunt.
46. We watched “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” and I was surprised by how good it was. (I guess I remember the first Hobbit movie not being good? Or it’s possible I fell asleep during it, as I did with this one, and had to watch the ending the next day.) I guess I was skeptical since there are new characters, and because I assumed it was just all about stretching out the “Rings” legacy, but now I feel like the Hobbit trilogy actually shows the importance of continuing to create and push yourself, as a creative person, and move beyond your projects. Lessons from Peter Jackson, or, something. Yeah!
47. I also decided on a whim to do the #100happydays challenge, at the risk of being ‘that annoying person who posts lots of happy things to Instagram/Facebook/Twitter’. Sorry in advance! But I’m looking forward to the daily reminder that life is what we make it, and that I can make it happy.
48. Adam. This one feels like it ought to be on the list weekly! Right now I’m grateful for his humour, his patience, and his smarts.
49. The “Weirdo hippie salad” I’ve been making for myself lately: kale, lettuce, a citrus fruit of some kind, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and dressing. (So-called because Adam
thinks knows I’m a weirdo hippie.) It feels so fresh and zesty!
50. The crepes at the Farmers’ Market have swiftly become a weekend must. $5 gets you a filling yet light crepe, with whatever fruit toppings you want. I always get banana, strawberry and nutella. Oh man!
What are you grateful for? I’d love to hear. And, have a happy Monday.